Classic Update Kits give you one of the most complete kits on the market to "Make Wiring THAT Easy". They are designed for specific year, make, and model configurations. The 1973-79 Ford Truck & 1978-79 Ford Bronco Kit is no exception. The kit boasts 14 features making it the most complete system of its type in the industry including:
- A replacement headlight switch with internal 25-amp circuit breaker, adjustable length shaft, and custom knob.
- Standard turn signal flasher, hazard flasher, and horn relay mounted on harness.
- Fuse box designed to fit in original location with no mods to the firewall. All required hardware supplied. New ATO fuse panel allows for easy fuse and circuit breaker accessibility. Harness is laid out and formed to allow for nearly all after market accessories such as; gauge packages, wiper systems, heat and air conditioning systems, etc.
- Many original switch connector bodies - an American Autowire exclusive feature.
- Steering column connectors can plug directly into most aftermarket steering columns or stock 1973-79 Ford columns using the adapter and terminals included in the kit.
- Separate under dash courtesy lamp assemblies are also included for use along with your original dome/interior lighting feeds.
- Instrument Cluster wiring is designed with a "cluster harness disconnect" system for easy service and assembly. Original terminals that will plug into the original cluster connector (another American Autowire exclusive) are provided for stock cluster connections. The system will also connect into most popular aftermarket gauges such as DAKOTA DIGITAL, CLASSIC INSTRUMENTS, AUTOMETER, VDO, and others.
- Rear body harness assembly plugs into the main harness at the left kick panel location and our longer leads allow for stock or custom routing of the wires. Rear body wiring includes backup light lead wires and connectors along with stop and tail light lead wires and connectors. New tail lamp socket and side marker lamp socket pigtail extensions are also included. License plate lamp lead connection, as well as the fuel tank sender lead connection is also included. An optional extra cost dual fuel tank harness is available separately.
- New floor dimmer switch is provided for ease of installation. Wire length and connection accommodate original floor mount dimmer switch.
- Engine wiring includes feeds for coil, tach, water temperature, oil pressure, electric choke, and electric speedometer (if needed). A heavy gauge alternator feed and fusible link are also included for any typical high output 1 wire or internally regulated alternator. Connectors supplied for power and tach leads for GM style H.E.I. distributors along with various oil and temp senders. A Ford Gen III series alternator adapter is available separately.
- Front lighting includes extra long leads that can be routed for stock or optional appearances. All head light, parking light, and directional light leads, along with a switched trigger wire for an electric fan relay (usually recommended with AC) are provided. Mating terminals and connectors are also provided for you to complete your custom installation. New parking lamp socket and side marker lamp socket pigtail extensions are also included.
- New ignition switch with indexed connector included.
- New windshield wiper switch with indexed connector and motor leads included which must be mated to your stock motor (mating connector and terminals included).
- New door jamb switch pigtails and switches are also included.
Please note: Classic Update Kits do not support Ammeters
If this Classic Update Kit is being purchased for a 1978-79 Ford Bronco, the Power Tailgate Harness 510358 add-on harness must be purchased to complete the installation.
If this Classic Update Kit is being purchased for a 1973-79 Ford Truck with dual fuel tanks, the Dual Fuel Tank Harness 510359 add-on harness must be purchased to complete the installation.
This harness is intended to be used in a modified vehicle. Please read this warning thoroughly and be sure that you understand everything explained here prior to opening any of the packages included in this kit, or before attempting to install any of the components. Once this kit has been opened or a component installed, the kit is not returnable.
1. This kit should typically be used in a MODIFIED
2. This kit only supports the use of a higher current self-exciting 1 wire, or other style internally regulated alternator. An adapter may be necessary for certain applications. The use of a stock, low amperage alternator is seriously discouraged as they cannot handle the higher current requirements of updated ignition systems, electric fans, aftermarket A/C systems, stereo systems, air ride suspensions, and other power hungry accessories and will ultimately create performance issues with the system.
3. This kit WILL NOT
support the use of a factory ammeter. All AAW kits are engineered to supply the optimum charge to the battery. To achieve this performance, we route our 8 ga. charge wire directly from the alternator output terminal to the starter solenoid. Due to the path of the charge being altered from the stock configuration, the guage can no longer see a charge vs. a discharge, so it will not work properly. When ammeters were originally used, most generator or alternator current outputs were rated at maximum of about 25-60 amps. Modified vehicles being built today typically use a 100 amp or higher output alternator. With these higher current units, ammeters, generally speaking, become a safety hazard. Ammeters are usually wired in parallel to the charging circuit, are typically unfused, and can short very easily causing a fire. A voltmeter is recommended as a good alternative.
4. This kit IS NOT
set up with a resistance wire or a ballast resistor for a standard, points type ignition system. It is wired with a full 12 volt primary ignition feed that is hot in both the start and run positions. It will support HEI, MSD, other electronic ignition systems, as well as computerized Fuel Injection systems. If you wish to run a points type system, there are illustrations on the engine connection pages to do so. Extra parts that are not included in this kit will be required to complete that operation.