Basic Hydroboost Power Steering System
Ford saw the need for power brakes on the early Bronco. Power brakes were optional for the 1976 and 77 model years. They picked a vacuum booster to do the grunt work in the system. That's when the stock tire size was 78-15 (small). Today there are a whole lot of us who choose to run large tires (33's, 35's, 37's, 40's etc.) and we want good brakes too!
When we installed our first Hydroboost system, we were literally shocked at how well it worked. You will be too! The WH Hydroboost System consists of all brand new parts. Nothing rebuilt! Three different firewall adapter plates are used which bolt the system into the stock holes in your firewall. We recommend choosing a complete system including new hydraulic hoses, brake lines, and master cylinder, for a convenient and hassle free installation. You can, however, choose just the parts you want, but this system will NOT
work with the stock Master Cylinder.
Step #1 General Information Required.
We will need the answers to certain questions so we can provide you with all the correct fittings, adapters, etc. and so that your system installs correctly with your existing components. Either call us at 209 943-0991 during our regular business hours, or provide the information in the form below. If you choose to order online, please include your phone number so we can call you if we have any questions.
It is possible that you may not know the answers to these questions. That's ok, just call and one of our techs will help you identify your existing components. It's our goal to supply a complete system that can be easily installed in a day.
Step #2 Select Your Options.
Step #3 Select Your Engine Size.
- The Hydroboost Master Cylinder will work with any hydroboost brake configuration. You can not use your stock master cylinder with this kit.
- Our Hydraulic Hose Set includes custom Aeroquip stainless steel braided hoses and all the appropriate fittings for your steering box and pump. The hose kit even comes with the cool billet hose clamps you see in the photo. You can select "No Hoses" if you desire.
- Our Custom Brake Line Set is custom made to order at WH. Each set is specifically designed for your application based on the information you provide. These are the hoses from the master cylinder to the proportioning valve. Select Rubber or Stainless or you can select the No Hoses option.
- NOTE: Your proportioning valve or distribution block must be located in the stock position to order online.
Sorry for the hideous looking firewall in picture 2 above. There was so much factory black gunk that it required heavy use of a sander. The encircled section shows the area that will need to be modified when using the 351W System. A template for the modification is included with the 351W setup. Also note that the picture above is the finished result.
- If you are running a 289, 302, 5.0 carbureted motor and you do not plan on changing the motor to Ford EFI select the 289/302 CA.
- If you are running a 5.0 Ford EFI Mustang style with the air cleaner and throttle body on the passenger side select the 5.0 EFI. Our system will not clear 5.0 EFI with the air cleaner and throttle body on the driver's side.
- If you have any column shifter on the steering column with a 289/302 engine you MUST choose the 351 kit. Otherwise your shifter arm will hit part of the booster.
- If you are running or plan to run a 351W/5.8 select the 351W. Please note that the 351W setup will require slight firewall modifications to mount the unit. (You will have to make the hole in the firewall a little bigger, this takes about five minutes with a die grinder.)